With the interest in healthy and environmentally sustainable products on the increase, castor oil represents an interesting feedstock source.
Why Castor Oil?
A wide range of products can be derived from castor oil – from pharma to plastics to specialty chemicals.
Highlights of Castor-based Product Opportunities
Castor oil based products and derivatives are renewable & sustainable. A diverse range of products with commercial value can be produced, hence business opportunities exist in various sectors.
Existing Sectors of Castor oil and its Derivatives
- Electronics and telecommunication
- Textile chemicals
- Plastics and rubber
- Cosmetics and perfumeries
- Paints, inks and additives
Emerging Sectors of Castor Oil and its Derivatives
Castor oil and its derivatives have expanded their presence in new emerging sectors due to a shift in trend towards sustainable and biobased materials. Two prominent emerging markets for castor oil and its derivatives are:
- Biopolymers: Castor oil has long been a non-food-crop source of biopolymers for fibres and plastics, specifically Arkema’s Rilsan (PA 11). The options are now expanding as more and more companies are working on castor oil based polymer products (predominantly polyurethane and polyamide).
Sebacic acid, a key castor oil derivative is used in the production of nylons.
- Cosmetics: Castor oil has been used in soaps and cosmetics for centuries, and continues to play an important part in the production of other skin care products. Traditional uses of castor oil in cosmetics sector were hair care products, skin moisturizer, skin cleanser, etc. But recently many new applications of castor oil have emerged, expanding the cosmetics and personal care industry.
One of the emerging applications of castor oil is in lipstick preparations. There are also a number of ricinoleic acid derivatives (Cetyl Ricinoleate, Zinc Ricinoleate, etc.) that are expanding their use in a variety of personal care products such as deodorants, beauty creams and more.
Castor Oil Derivatives used in Cosmetics and Personal Care Industry
- Undecylenic Acid
- Castor Wax
- Zinc Ricinoleate
- Heptanoic Acid
- Undecylenic Acid
- Heptyl Alcohol
- Ethyl Heptoate
- Heptyl Acetate
As the demand for these categories of products is growing, and have a worldwide demand, a number of entrepreneurs are keen on venturing into the castor-based products businesses.
CastorOil.in’s Consulting Division provides specialty custom research and strategic consulting for these entrepreneurs.
Who will Benefit Castor-based Business Opportunities?
Companies and businesses keen on understanding the range of business opportunities emerging from castor oil, especially those who are keen on one or more of the following market segments:
- Textile Chemicals
- Plastics & Rubber
- Cosmetics & Perfumeries
- Paints & Inks
What is the Scope of Our Consulting Services?
CastorOil.in’s Consulting focusses on providing strategic and market focused suggestions and recommendations to entrepreneurs. With our extensive network and contacts with the farmer, refiner and equipment vendor and derivative end user community, CastorOil.in can also further assist entrepreneurs in collaborating with the raw material suppliers and technology equipment vendors, and oleochemical experts.
Our core offering however is to enable our clients to understand the market, business and strategic potential for castor-based businesses.
CastorOil.in is one of the very few firms in the world that has had a dedicated focus on castor-based products and derivatives for a decade. Starting with the research on the use of castor for standard end products, our scope of work widened about 6 years back into providing market and strategic assistance to a wide range of high end derivatives.
The following are the reasons why you should take CastorOil.in’s consulting assistance for your foray/investment into castor-based products:
- Present in India, the home of the global castor oil industry
- More than ten years with a focus on market research for castor-based products and derivatives – perhaps the only firm that has such a dedicated focus
- Have consulted for the likes of DSM, BioFields and more
- Our research has been used by over 500 prominent companies and organizations worldwide
- Highly networked with over 500 industry experts worldwide
- Run the world’s most popular online resource for castor oil and derivatives – castoroil.in
- Publish the most acclaimed report on the castor oil industry – Comprehensive Castor Oil Report
CastorOil.in is a part of Energy Alternatives India (EAI), India’s leading renewable energy and cleantech research and consulting firm. More about EAI from www.eai.in
Partial List of Clients